Full Moon Tuesday 7 March – a decision

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets Full Moon Tuesday 7 March – a decision

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mynyddte
    Keymaster

It’s Full Moon Tuesday tonight (at least according to the calendar on the website), and it looks like we’re going to do Fingal’s Flue at Stoney Middleton (https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=104155). Meet at the layby opposite the crag at 7pm. I imagine we’ll be paying a visit to the The Moon Inn afterwards (highly appropriate).

Don’t forget your headtorch!

Richard Waltham
    Participant

Dick says he’s coming too (maybe, if we twist his arm, etc. etc.).

Add ‘Kevlar trousers’ to the ‘Don’t forget’ list – traversing the top of the crag these days is fairly brambly. If we don’t fancy the Mineshaft descent (including the obligatory and legendary Tom’s Roof) we might walk further along (more brambles) to the Aurora descent and then crawl through the cave-passage that emerges back onto Windy Ledge.

Or we could even do ‘Tiger Trot’ if you really want intrepid. This use to be ungraded solo but again the new book gives has upgraded it to VD. Another misprint, probably?

Dave Liz Wilson
    Participant

Dick has to go, cos it was his idea!
    It gave it 4c on a UKC write up
    Dave

Richard Waltham
    Participant

3c, 4c, whichever. In modern-day parlance – “It’s Nails”. I haven’t failed at this grade for quite a while but having bridged and smeared on wet shiny slimestone, perched above the back-breaking-potential chockstone with the prospect of very wet holds quite some distance higher, I decided to back off. The gratitude (or actually sighs of relief) from Dick, Jules and Tom were audible!

We salvaged an interesting foray on windy ledge and the passageway which winds its anfractuous route behind Aurora Arete before declining the Tiger Trot return leg in favour of more crawling whereas Tom adopted to role of ‘control group’ and seemed to prove that crawling is not the quickest way back to rucksacks.

The Moon has some nice new (but retro) tables and was serving pleasant beer as well.

I can’t understand why more of you don’t make the effort 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.