Gower, May 4th – 7th

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets Gower, May 4th – 7th

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jules Lane
    Participant

Hi folks – here are the details you have all been waiting for.

The Gower peninsula is a lovely place to climb. It’s limestone like south Pembroke but rather more friendly, with a real holiday vibe. You may well have been there in the past but as a club we have not been there for quite a few years. The climbing is on tidal or non-tidal coastal crags with grades from Mod to E6 and loads of good stuff in the S-HVS zone. Low tide is mid-late afternoon.

For sample climbing check out Three Cliffs Bay (tidal), Juniper Wall (non-tidal) and Fall Bay (partially tidal). There was a new climbing guide called Gower Rock produced in 2012. A pdf sample featuring general info and the climbs at Rhossili can be downloaded from here.

For those who don’t climb (or if the weather doesn’t co-operate) the walking is lovely, it’s great for sea kayaking (Trevor), there is pony trekking close by and as a last resort Swansea is worth a visit.

The campsite is Pitton Cross, close to Rhossili at the end of the peninsula, approx 45 mins from J47 on the M4. They can accommodate vans, have hookups and have a decent shop. They currently have availability for this weekend but suggest we do book in advance. As they do not take group booking so please just book individually without mentioning anything about a club. Prices are £13pn for 1 person and tent, £20 for 2-4 people in a tent and £24 for a motorhome (plus £4 for electric hook up). Pub ¾ mile away.

Finally, I will probably be going down on Thursday 3rd, especially if anyone else will be there.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Jules Lane.
    Derek Peterson
    Participant

Jules . Val and I will be there from the Thurs night. Weather is looking good at the moment. We will be leaving Tues morning. See you there if not before. Derek

Jules Lane
    Participant

Hi folks

I seems that the Pitton Cross campsite is now full for the May BH weekend. I am aware of me, Colin and Kym, Derek and Val and David and Abi booked there so far, so we’ll need an overflow site.

For this can I suggest you book in at Oxwich Camping, which has room and is £19 pn for a campervan and less for a small tent. I think you need to phone to book on 01792 390777. Dave and Liz are booked already and will provide tea and cakes on arrival. Maybe.

If this is no good for some reason there are lots of others as listed here. Hopefully we can co-ordinate activities by phone across the 2 sites.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Jules Lane.
    Dave Liz Wilson
    Participant

Liz and I have booked, at Oxwich. Tea, maybe…
    Dave

Kirsten Williams
    Participant

Dick and I are also booked in to Oxwich, arriving Thursday

Chris Moore
    Participant

I am also booked in at Oxwich. Arriving on Friday

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.