Mystery meet revealed ….

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets Mystery meet revealed ….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Sunday 29th October … are you up for the challenge?

and that is the Nine Edges Challenge!

Please click here to indicate interest as I will need to book taxis by October 7th

This is a one-way challenge: Fairholmes Visitor Centre on the Derwent Reservoir to the Robin Hood pub at Baslow via 9 Edges: Derwent Edge, Stanage, Burbage North, Burbage South, Froggat, Curbar, Baslow Edge, Gardoms and Birchens.

For walkers and runners, this is a 22 mile route with 900m of ascent; climbers additionally climb any route of their choosing on each Edge. The mountain bike route will be slightly longer and the road biking route I have yet to make up.

This is regularly done to raise money for Edale Mountain rescue … http://www.edalemrt.co.uk/nine-edges.html and the walking/running/climbing route is here:
    http://www.shareyouradventure.com/map/4843/DeanRead/Peak-District-9-Edges-Challenge

The plan is to meet at the Robin Hood pub (that is the route end) at two different times, leave your cars, and we will taxi people to Fairholmes in two waves. The journey is about 30 minutes. Should people have their own way of doing the one-way thing then that’s obviously fine and if you can offer a lift, then even better.

Important things to note are:

1. The clocks will have gone back that morning so 09:00 will feel like 10:00 (honest it will). Sunset is 16:46!
    2. Taxis will leave the Robin Hood pub at 09:00 and walkers and climbers should go first. [Otherwise you may run out of daylight. Bring a headtorch anyway.]
    3. Taxis will do another trip and leave at 10:00
    4. There will be an intermediary drop off point if requested for the leisure walkers/ hangover set / got to be somewhere else at 4 / any other excuse. This could be at Upper Burbage Bridge carpark.
    5. Taxi travel will cost in the order of £8.00 per person.
    6. I will arrange bike transport separately (with some help) but you will need to let me know if you want your bike transporting.
    Chris Bowen
    Participant

I did the Edale mountain rescue version yesterday. It was a lovely day out – running at a steady pace took well under under 4hours 30 minutes. Unfortunately we can’t join you on 29th October as we are doing the OMM.
    Chris

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.