BMC AGM / No Confidence Motion

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums General BMC AGM / No Confidence Motion

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andy Hardy

Is anyone from the committee going to the AGM to act as a proxy for those who can’t make it?

For the record I have already voted against the motion of no confidence, not because the BMC should avoid censure for the re-branding cock up, but because it’s the “nuclear” option which would potentially do more harm than good – a bit like I felt about brexit in fact!

Paul Justin
    Participant

There are over 80,000 BMC members eligible to vote at the AGM. At the last BMC AGM there were, on average, about 500 votes per resolution.
    Based on these numbers it is very possible that an active minority could get a resolution passed that would be widely opposed by the majority who just want to go climbing and don’t pay much attention to this sort of thing.

The ‘no confidence vote’, if passed, would mean the executive committee of volunteers who run the BMC and the CEO would be obliged to stand down, creating a vacuum at the top of the organisation for a considerable time.

In case you didn’t notice, the recent copy of summit magazine also contained voting forms and a report on the ‘issues’ from our own Martin Wragg. If you don’t have Summit, or ditched the ‘junk mail’ included in the envelope (that included the voting forms and Martin’s report), you can download a form at http://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmc-agm-2017. Martins report can also be read/downloaded via a link in the ‘what’s the issue’ article in the AGM part of the BMC website.
    There is also extensive discussion on the various UKC, UKB forums and BMC Facebook page (and probably other places) if you want non-BMC perspective and access to Bob Pettigrew’s written argument.

Due to the potential impact on the BMC, it would make sense if a significant percentage of members voted on this, rather than the 0.6% of membership who typically vote on AGM motions

Dave Liz Wilson
    Participant

Liz and I will be registering a vote against the no confidence motion. Although I think the committee have been high handed, i am persuaded by the argument that we shouldn’t​ throw the baby out with the bath water.
    Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.