Coniston Meet 31/10 – 1/11

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets Coniston Meet 31/10 – 1/11

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andy Hardy

The location is Tranearth the LC&CC hut situated between Torver and the Walna Scar track. The Coniston fells are on the door step – as is Dow Crag for those who have eponymous GFI’s to get (Trish) There is proper mountain biking to be had for those so inclined, and it’s a short drive to Grizedale for the trail centre type.

Tranearth is slightly unusual as it is not possible to drive to the door – shock! horror! – a walk of at least 800m is required see notes below.

It’s £9 per person per night, no concessions. Please let me know if you’re coming by replying on here, email, phone or facebook.

Thanks

Andy

Access & Parking
    The hut is reached by a walk of approx. 800 metres up a rough track. If arriving in the dark torches are essential. Turn off the A593 at a sharp bend 400 metres north of Torver (junction with A5084). Follow very narrow road (several sharp bends) through a small collection of dwellings, Scarr Head (please minimise disturbance especially if arriving late). After the last house the lane turns into a rough narrow track. This may prove too narrow for some vehicles. If you have any doubts then park at the junction with the main road and walk up, travelling light will make this walk easier. After 150 metres there is a gate (please leave shut) and immediately on the left is the Tranearth car park (use at owner’s risk). PLEASE NOTE if you do not wish to risk the track, you must park on the main road and NOT in Scarr Head. Vehicles should not normally be taken beyond the car park.
    The walk to the hut continues up the track. Please close the gates unless they are propped open. Keep right at the stables after the first gate. When the track passes through a gate and crosses a concreted bridge. Tranearth is found to the left.

Dan Lane
    Participant

I can’t make it, but I can see a disaster waiting to happen there – most dissapointed I won’t be there to watch and heckle!

Andy Hardy

Disaster? What disaster?

Dave Liz Wilson
    Participant

Liz and I ate going. Anyone got a mule for hire?
    Dave

Steve Bowker
    Participant

Interested; if I can procure a lift off some kind person! Curious as to why we’re not using the YMC hut a bit farther back down the valley though- its a real nice place, is easily accessible and the club have reciprocal rights with the YMC, though I suspect a lot of members don’t even know that as its never been widely advertised.
    Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.