Donegal

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Maria Goggin
    Participant

(Emailed all attendees but posting here also just in case)

As some of you are leaving as early as tomorrow and more in packing mode over the weekend I thought I’d get some extra bits of info out to you and cover off a few questions people have asked.

Climbing and Sea Stacking
    Some people have purchased the ‘Rock Climbing in Donegal’ book and other just downloading the pdfs that form it – up to you. One of two extras online (2016 so not in guidebook) including Pollnalong which looks like a good sea cliff and is not too far away.

We have a couple of contacts for local boatmen to ferry people out to Gola and given the number of us involved I think we can probably organise our own ‘ferry’ at a time to suit us. I’m thinking Monday or Tuesday for a day trip but will firm up enquiries closer to the time and once we know how the sea is behaving and we have a forecast.

Sea stacks also feature in plans/hopes with stakes, long ab ropes etc. already being packed into Ians van – along with two ‘light sea craft’. The Sea Hawk 2 is available for anyone attempting to get onto a sea stack. The Ulster Princess may also make her first over ground expedition. Just remember it is the Atlantic Ocean!

Accommodation and Food
    http://www.corcreggan.com/contacts/ is where you need to head to. Brendan appears to be quite the character. He does love to talk, be prepared!

Those in the bunkhouse do not need to bring sleeping bags and breakfast is provided. Those camping /vanning do not get breakfast and severe punishments will be handed out to anyone found robbing muesli from the bunkhouse!

Brendan offers Irish Stew cooked to order in the evening. Due to the numbers involved it isn’t going to be possible to do a single large group meal however, if you wish, you can organise yourselves into groups when it suits during the week and sample some Irish Stew.

Beer
    There is an onsite pub mainly selling bottled beer, wine etc. so I asked Brendan to get us some kegs of beer in. Real ale is not really a thing in Ireland so he wasn’t entirely clear what I was asking for so to help I sent him some examples of local breweries. In true Irish-style he then informed me he did know a man he could get some ale from. The man also happens to be the local undertaker!! Cue, some quite funny email exchanges on complementary businesses etc…. though I’m still unclear as to whether we are getting the beer from the undertaker who also has a microbrewery or the undertaker who brews beer out the back next to the coffins!! Well, I tried.

There are also pubs in village nearby also and the limit is 50 milligrams (mg) for all drivers. BUT 20mg for specified drivers, defined as learner or newly qualified drivers (for a period of two years after passing their driving test) or professional drivers (of buses, goods vehicles and public service vehicles).

Insurance and ID
    At risk of stating the obvious Ireland is not part of the UK!! Technically speaking you only need photo ID however I’d recommend you take your passports as some carriers demand it (e.g. Ryanair won’t take you without a passport – I’m not sure of status of ferry companies but safer to just take your passport).

Bring euros, and for those with insurance /medical concerns EHIC cards still provide reciprocal medial care. However treat Ireland as you would anywhere else in Europe and make arrangements according to your normal stance on these things.

See you all there,
    Maria

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.