Full Moon Tuesday 3 Feb

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets Full Moon Tuesday 3 Feb

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Colin Nave
    Participant

Got the title right this time.
    A modest proposal. If anyone else has an alternative please say.

The moon will be rather low in the sky to the east next Tuesday so an east facing venue would be good. There are not too many east facing crags in the Peak District until one realises that it is obvious really.
    “Any fool can climb Everest but Mam Tor is big beef” (Stephen Venables quoted in Over the Moors).
    So good practice and gear check prior to the February meet.
    Mam Tor Gully should be OK – if anyone knows otherwise, let me know. Ski descents get double points as do scary ascents to the right.
    Of course a moonlit walk along the ridge is a good alternative (and addition).
    Although one can park near the landslip road, it might be better to gather in the car park at Rushup Edge at 18.30.

Pub at Sparrowpit unless there are other suggestions.

Colin

Trevor Shepherd
    Participant

Hi Colin
    What’s the grid reference of the Rushup Edge car park? Is this the same place as the Mam Tor car park, i.e. SK 124 832

Trevor

Colin Nave
    Participant

Have received a request for more info about kit required for Mam Tor Gully.
    I haven’t actually done it before so I don’t know anything beyond the guidebook description plus an ascent yesterday logged in UKC which says
    “Very soft snow pack. Lots of snow in the gully but getting thin on the grassy flank below the exit. Fun nonetheless.”

It is only grade 1 so a single axe should suffice. There is likely to be a staircase up the snow. Not sure of the thin grass at the exit though. Proper crampons (with compatible boots) rather than microspikes might be advisable for this.

Colin Nave
    Participant

Yes car park is 128 832. It is I think properly called Mam Nick car park but I followed President Foord’s command (car park on Rushup Edge) in Over the Moors

Colin Nave
    Participant

Just found out on the Derbyshire County Council web site that the road from Sparrowpit to the top of Winnats pass is closed due to a structural failure. Presumably some huge cavern that is opening up beneath it.
    Unless anyone knows if the road is now open, a pub in Castleton might make more sense. Anyone got a suggestion?
    Colin

Colin Foord
    Participant

My experience is that crampons help a bit to minimize wheel spin, and an axe is useful – mainly as a walking stick. (People with short fancy ones get excellent backache!) Nervous people might have a rope around, plus a spiky thing and something to hit it with for when a heroic leader reaches the top. The steeper exit between the ‘Normal’ and ‘Chimney/True’ finish could be good.

A worthy alternative (addition?) if the clods are frozen is an ascent of the ‘ridge’ which bounds the gully on the left. (True right bank.) All but insane purists will avoid the very first bit from the gully neck as it is pointlessly hard unless very deep frozen and iced up. All the rest is in a good position and you can admire the hordes grovelling to your right. (All hoping that nobody has taken up the ‘Ski Challenge’.) Grade 1.

I guess that all of the above might have been kicked to death, but you’ll still have a worthy moonlight adventure.

(Things to the right of the Gully are probably best started a bit before dawn so you get a bit of light when the really exciting stuff starts.)

Of equal difficulty can be parking if snowfall has been substantial – especially if the car park has not been cleared. Take a good shovel and be prepared to dig your own parking bay at the side of the road.

I am gutted that I am in Cornwall and will not be able to join in what should be great fun! Enjoy!

Colin

Trevor Shepherd
    Participant

The road from the top of Winnats Pass to Sparrowpit has “road closed” barriers across half the road at either end to give the impression that the road is closed but at the same time to allow local access.

However it is possible to drive past the collapsed section of road which has a barrier surrounding the hole leaving a single lane past the hole. The road has been partly ploughed (3/4 to full width in general) and gritted was easily driveable by any car except for mini coopers and Lamborghinis.

No doubt the auto insurance companies will use the road closed signs to invalidate your car insurance should you have a prang on that section of road but having “Jesus loves you” stickers on your car will also invalidate your insurance so just drive that section with a little caution.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.