Full Moon Tuesday 7 March

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets Full Moon Tuesday 7 March

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Colin Nave
    Participant

I will not be around next FMT so can someone else suggest a venue.
    Colin

Richard Waltham
    Participant

Or even suggest another date! One with a Full Moon maybe? (Yes yes, I know you didn’t set the dates Boffin).

Oddly the following Tuesday (14th March) appears to meet this criteria a little more closely (22% greater illumination) but a slightly later Moonrise. This does allow for being out on a hill whilst the Moon rises over a nearby horizon (around 8:24pm) – splendid for catching that optical illusion of making the Moon look HUGE (but also quite dark when you set off).

Perhaps a repeat of the Mam Tor and Cave Dale excursion? Setoff around 7:30pm from Castleton? Any takers?

Richard

P.S. Who, really, wanted to go to Glossop Leisure Cantre?

Dan Lane
    Participant

Oi, Waltham!

Don’t you talk about Glossop Leisure Centre like that!

I can propose the grade one scramble of Y Gribin onto Lliwedd, if that’s any use?

Dick Williams
    Participant

Dreams of clear skies and moonlight might be a bit unrealistic – how about a mass ascent of Fingals Flue at Stoney, descend by the mineshaft?

mynyddte
    Keymaster

I’d be up for Fingal’s Flue, or indeed the Mam Tor and Cave Dale excursion, depending of course on what the latter entails

Colin Nave
    Participant

Good suggestions.
    The illumination on the ground is a combination of illumination of moon itself and the angle of the moon above horizon. This is mostly negative on 14th!
    Just off ski touring so no more unhelpful advice.
    Colin

Richard Waltham
    Participant

So how would you ever see the ‘Moon Illusion’ (as it rises over the horizon) without its angle being low?. Surely it’ll have to be an Illusion illumination sacrifice? That sounds a bit pagan – perhaps we’ll get naked and plant beetroots as well?

Tom, there’s nothing too intrepid on Cave Dale option, but despite it allegedly being a “dry” valley, it did feel a bit like walking down a river in the dark last time, and certainly quite slippery underfoot but Jon F knew a good route to avoid the boggy quagmire to get into the top of the gorge having first ascended Mam Tor.

Anyway, as I’ve had two people (yes TWO) challenge me on the (lack of) merits of Glossop wall, I’m going to stand down anyway on championing the 14th for FMT and allow people to savour its delights. I believe this leaves Fingal’s Flue as runaway favourite for this Tuesday (7th March).

mynyddte
    Keymaster

So, are we doing Fingal’s Flue tomorrow?

Richard Waltham
    Participant

The latest guidebook from the BMC suggests Fingal’s Flue is “a classic of its genre, very entertaining”. I was a little alarmed to see that it now gets VS whereas the first guidebook I had to Stoney Middleton gave it VD. It must just be a misprint. What start(time) for kicking off?

I’ll speak with Dick and post again with a proposal but around 7pm probably.

mynyddte
    Keymaster

Meet you in the layby at 7pm?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.