Note received from Walter Bird – founder member

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums General Note received from Walter Bird – founder member

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jules Lane
    Participant

FYI, just received vie email…

Dear Fellow Mynydd Club Members,
    During a wet and windy day here in San Bruno, I was perusing the Mynydd Climbing Club book The First 50 Years when I came to the part about Blaen-y-Nant. The story of how Jim Burns’s tireless work enabled The Mynydd to obtain the use of Blaen-y-Nant. Let me add a few words to this story. During one of the work parties to the facility, an over enthusiastic blow torch wielding volunteer, set fire to one of the rotting window frames. After a minor panic the flames were quelled shortly before we were leaving for home. So in order to be responsible tenants, the local Fire Department was needed to inspect the site. I went to Trefriw village and summoned the volunteer Fire Chief and took him to our “Hut”. This was notable as in order to inspect the damage he insisted he wore his official uniform. Having satisfied the building was safe we thanked to Fire Chief and made our way home. A few weeks after, I persuaded my Carpenter (Joiner in UK parlance) brother-in-law Stanley Wilson to go with me to Blaen-y-Nant to lend his expertise on our repair work. Stan was a great help and made many really good suggestions that have contributed to the place we now love so much. It is also fair to say, that many others over the years have contributed much to Blaen-y-Nant and as I said in the video for the 60th anniversary, I am very proud to have been part of this effort and the formation of the club.​
    Yours truly Walter Bird AKA Ginger​

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.