Saturday, 10th August: Troy!

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets Saturday, 10th August: Troy!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Richard Waltham
    Participant

This is another opportunity for those who aren’t in Austria to meet up and get some climbing done. Of course, we are still at the mercy of the somewhat changeable weather which of late appears to be less than reliable.

From the outset, the ‘pledge’ for this day-trip was to go somewhere “beyond the Peak District”. There are some great possibilities – Yorkshire, Clywd Limestone or even Cheshire Sandstone if you like that sort of thing. But, given the forecasts, I’m playing semi-safe and proposing Lancashire – famous, mostly, for its quarries this venue is one of them! But friendlier, and generally more pleasant than many of its genre. This applies to the grades, aspect and general setting.

So, Troy quarry. This is up the M66 & A56 to Haslingden. it can be found on UKC or in the BMC Lancashire Rock guidebooks. I’m pretty sure its not in any Rockfax! Its easily within an hour’s drive from the High Peak, easy access and plenty of parking, etc.

As I’m allergic to facebook, I’ll ask somebody to copy this there but no need to register your intended attendance. Just turn up and we’ll see you there (unless its tipping down!). The quarry will be most pleasant in the afternoon so early-risers might beat me there if you arrive well before midday.

Richard

Richard Waltham
    Participant

Saturday’s weather really isn’t looking great (meaning, like, half-an-inch of rain!) – I’ll post again around midday tomorrow with a final decision (which might include the option of a postponement to Sunday but Dan tried this tactic a couple of weeks back and I’m not sure it helped much!)

Richard

Richard Waltham
    Participant

OK, I give in! Tomorrow (Saturday) is set to be a wash-out. Particularly in Lancashire!

I’m not even going to suggest that we just postpone (to Sunday) as, despite some variation in forecasts, Sunday will still be a little wet (and anyway the pond in Troy quarry might make reaching the cliffs an aquatic adventure. I’ll leave it to the facebook chatter to identify (along with likely protagonists) either a climbing wall or some other opportunistic venue. Sorry everybody.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.