Meets in May – Countdown to Skye

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets Meets in May – Countdown to Skye

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Richard Waltham
    Participant

Hi All,

Its great that some decent weather has arrived, and sticking around for a bit as well!

We’ve got camping weekend coming up soon which provides a chance to do battle with Yorkshire Gritstone, or Limestone of course.

Some good evening meets as well – Stanage (ever) Popular and Staden Quarry and Cratcliffe – all quality venues. On Staden, quite a few of us climbed there last year despite, in theory, access problems – these seem to have disappeared and the BMC has withdrawn their voluntary ban. It is a nice place with the best quarried limestone in the Peak (unlike Cawdor which, another story admittedly, but is probably the worst but no broken bones so I got away with it!).

And then,….. SKYE!

We have almost 30 people promising to turn up. Bunkhouses, Tin Tents, Wigwams and even a real tent (Sammi, remember to bring that midge repellent!).

There is capacity for some late comers and even for one person in the bunkhouse. Get in touch quickly if you want it.

Be safe!

Richard

Jonathan Prager
    Participant

Given the weather today it looks like Awesome Walls Stockport will be see more Mynydd than popular Stanage Popular.

Richard Waltham
    Participant

Well, Staden Quarry was great (I told you it would be!). No access problems whatsoever (except walking past the “Private – Keep Out” sign but that only applies to the general public, not climbers). Great, that is, right up until it rained, quite hard. Tim R managed 3 routes he hadn’t done before (that would have been 4 if it hadn’t rained).

Now, next week, is Wharncliffe. That’s a bit different from Cratcliffe. My mistake – that one comes up next month. Wharncliffe is still a quality venue though but, like Cratcliffe, a far way to drive for us Westies.

Andy Hardy

Is Wharncliffe further from Mellor than Cratcliffe?
    Anyhow the sun wont set until 21:18, it’s not far from a main road (and you don’t work anyway!)

Richard Waltham
    Participant

Errrr…., YES, it is actually! Around an hour compared to 50-55 mins (but Google ‘durations’ can, of course, be beaten!). And, remember, you need to add plenty of the extra time for picking up New Millsians. I’d like to say that the latter is only a constant but actually it varies alarmingly depending upon the number of pickups, their state of readiness and sometimes involves promises to their loved ones that I’ll drive responsibly!

Anyway, Skye’s going to be great. Bet you wish you could make it! Tim D. is on for completing his Munroes (on Sgurr nan Gillean) but he’s having to sacrifice the ‘double’ (completing the Classic Rock ticks with his completion of the Skye ridge). He’s got a small handful of those still to do but they’re all long, remote, esoteric, Scottish classics (Oh, and things on Pillar Rock as well).

Andy Hardy

Yes gutted not to be going to Skye. Can’t make Tuesday either 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.