OCTOBER HUT MEET 21ST – 23RD OCT – DON WHILLAN’S MEMORIAL HUT

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets OCTOBER HUT MEET 21ST – 23RD OCT – DON WHILLAN’S MEMORIAL HUT

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dan Stone
    Participant

Something a little different for this October’s hut meet!
    We’ve secured the Don Whillan’s Memorial Hut at the Roaches for the full weekend. I’m sure most of you will know the hut and probably walked past it 100s of times, but have you ever stepped over the threshold?!

You are likely aware that the hut isn’t the most of spacious of buildings and as such accommodation is limited to only 12 beds. The intention is for us to bolster the ranks with those brave enough to bivvy (come one, we did it in January!) and those wanting to stay in tin tents nearby. It’s also close enough for members to join us for the day or both days. I didn’t want the size of the building being the thing that robs us of a chance at such a cool experience!
    Hopefully the Mynydd can take over the Roaches for the weekend with either a group meal from the hut Saturday evening or escaping to one of the nearby pubs.

There’s plenty to go at and it’ll be a great opportunity to seek out those routes a little further afield like up at the Skyline. Even if the weathers not perfect there’s plenty of good walking nearby so they’ll be something for everyone.
    The booking alone is surely worth it just for the group pics and the Mynydd banner in Don’s front garden!!

As the bed numbers are so limited we’ll be operating a strictly first come (& pay James), first served basis.
    At £22.00 for two nights’ accommodation it’s a bargain for those wanting the experience.
    Those that may want to only stay for the one night there could be an opportunity to share a spot with someone but you’ll have to sort that out yourselves as It can get messy otherwise. But feel free to book a bed for the weekend and then pass on one of your nights.

If you want a place in the hut then please comment below AND EMAIL me at meets.mynydd@gmail.com. I’ll also be posting this on the facebook group so will try and update numbers as quickly as possible.

If you are planning to join us but not stay in the hut then comment below saying as such. It’ll be good to try and forecast numbers.

Kirstin Prager
    Participant

Looking forward to this Dan. We won’t sign up for a space until nearer the time in case it’s popular as I think it should be. We can either bivvy or stay at home given we live so near. If there are spaces we’ll take 1 or more likely 2.

Dan Stone
    Participant

Sorry to say that we’ve been hit with some unfortunate news.
    The Don Whillans Memorial Hut Meet will no longer be taking place this weekend.

The hut warden contacted me today to say the water pump is faulty and without water or sanitation the hut can’t be available to us.

Gutted is an understatement but I’ll make sure we make it happen in 2023!

Saturdays still looking dry so they’ll likely be a few of us out in the Peak so I’ll post up any plans.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.