Tuesday evening winter meets list

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets Tuesday evening winter meets list

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Kirsfelds
    Participant

Hello all,

The Tuesday evening winter meets list is now available here!

There are five ‘Full Moon Tuesday’ meets on the calendar. If you have any good/exciting/bonkers ideas for one of these, whether it’s climbing, walking or biking, then please get in touch.

Ta,

David

Richard Waltham
    Participant

I’d be happy to repeat a foray into St. Bertram’s Cave/Chimney (Beeston Tor, Manifold) if anybody is interested.

We have the beta now (see the February 2015 Journal) for a speedier trip which should enable us to explore the passageways reaching across the ways at the very top of the rift – there’s some really nice flowstone apparently. Some archaeological cavers have even found some cave drawings (“Hope woz ‘ere”?) Or, we could even take a pick axe and try again for the through-trip?

I recollect from the last visit that these places are warmer than you expect and I doubt wetness within varies hugely in this particular cave (you’ll get a bit muddy but not plastered). On that basis it’d be well suited to a cold and wet evening?

Both this month and next have excellent (Tuesday) Full Moons so priority, in good weather, should be on something truly ‘outdoors’.

Colin Nave
    Participant

Bertram’s cave (i.e. from near the bottom of the crag) is a good idea but I am not sure it benefits from a full moon. Could do it on an intermediate Tuesday evening.
    Is the idea to do the chimney route as well as the completely buried cave section? The chimney is also very good but I don’t think a route through the cave to the chimney is possible now – it might have been before.
    The cave presumably can be done whatever the weather so a date could be set now. Other possibilities (winter climbing, Stanage chimneys, Kinder southern edges climbing) are best decided a day or two before.

Does this make sense?

mynyddte
    Keymaster

I’d be well up for Bertram’s, sounds like an adventure!

Colin Nave
    Participant

I can propose venues for 10 Jan and/or 7 Feb though someone else could volunteer for one of these.
    Would try and decide on venue a day or 2 before depending on weather. Could use Bertram’s as a fall back if Richard is available and it hasn’t been done earlier.
    Colin

Richard Waltham
    Participant

More than happy for Bertram’s to be used as a wet weather contingency (I can’t guarantee being around every month though). If the river is above ground then some moonlight might help getting to the cave entrance.

And, if we take the pickaxe, the through trip just might be possible (Helmet advised!). If successful, topping out through the brambles will be a fitting finale to the evening!

Alternatively, there is Jackdaw’s cave which allegedly has another entrance/exit somewhere halfway up the scramble to the ‘normal’ start of Bertram’s Chimney (well hidden behind more brambles I suspect). Personally, I think being really quite thin, very brave and good at wiggling will help for that though. Tabitha maybe?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.