Full Moon Tuesday – 22nd March

Welcome to the Mynydd Climbing Club Forums Meets Full Moon Tuesday – 22nd March

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Richard Waltham
    Participant

The clocks spring forward at the weekend but we needn’t wait for that to start climbing outdoors, especially given the recent dry spell.

Now, I admit, it won’t be the warmest evening temperature so keeping moving will be the key. Yes, bouldering!

Given the likely use of headtorches, somewhere with generally safe landings will be advantageous with a good selection of problems. I’m proposing Burbage South (meaning the valley boulders; the main edge meets neither of the aforementioned criteria!).

Each boulder has a memorable name (think ‘Sheep’, ‘Rabbit’, ‘Dog’, ‘Pig’, or even ‘Tank’, ‘Armoured Car’, ‘Brick’. Others might venture as far as the ‘Whale’ or even ‘Useful’ & ‘Useless’).

The best approach (assuming the spaces at the end of the valley track are taken) is 100m beyond (North of) the Fox House – there’s plenty of spaces at the side of the road but beware some deep ruts. From here take the (dry stone) stile over the wall and, initially, keep to the fence across the field before heading straight across the heather in the same line (reasonable path) before a choice of paths lead down into the valley bottom.

Some of us might arrive before dark but we’ll still it out for a while and then probably retire to the Fox House (‘Pub’) for beverages and maybe even ‘Food’ unless you brought a picnic of course.

Children and Pets welcome (and Patio heaters,…..)

Richard Waltham
    Participant

Some Interesting facts (i.e. extra encouragement to join us)

The forecast for later today suggests that the sky will be clearing late afternoon which will be ideal to witness the sun setting and the moon rising in unison for almost an hour. If you arrive before 6pm then you’ll get the best view of this double-act (except that they’ll be 180 degrees opposite one another). You might want to loiter on the edge top rather than descending into the valley bottom.

The illumination of the moon will be at its peak of the month around midnight (when it’ll have reached its greatest height in the sky).

Of course the equinox passed a few days ago but be careful of asking any questions about whether that means that days and nights were of equal length. Similarly, approach with great caution anybody muttering about ‘Elliptical Orbs’, ‘Celestial Tilt’, ‘Lingering Refraction’ or ‘Wobbly Axis’. His name is likely to be Colin!

P.S. Is anybody actually coming along?

Jonathan Prager
    Participant

I will be.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.